Norwegian Crisp Bread | Knekkebrød
Norwegian Crisp Bread | Knekkebrød, is a wonderful hard bread loaded with whole grains and seeds. Great for snacking and for energy boost.
Servings: 20 Pieces
- 1/2 cup Rye flour
- 3/4 cup Quick cooking Oats
- 1/4 cup Wheat Bran
- 1/4 cup Sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup Sunflower seed
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin seed
- 2 tbsp Flax seeds
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/4 cup Water
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Layer a baking sheet completely with parchment.
In a bowl, combine all the ingredients in the list except the honey and the water.
In another bowl measure about a cup of water and warm it a bit. Add the honey to this water and mix to dissolve.
Add the water to the flour / seed mixture and mix gently. The mixture should be a slightly wet thick batter. Add a little more water if needed. I waited about 5 minutes after the first mix, so that the oats can absorb a bit of water. If needed, then add a little more water to bring it to the right consistency.
Pour this mixture on the prepared tray and spread it into a thin even layer using a spatula. Make sure that it is even as otherwise the cooking time will vary and the thinner part could get browned earlier.
Place the tray in the oven and let it bake for 10 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven and makes marks with a knife to slice them. This will help to break apart the crisp breads after the are completely baked.
Place the tray back in oven and let it bake for an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until it is crisp and golden brown.
Remove the Norwegian Crisp Bread | Knekkebrød from the oven and let it cool down on a rack. Break it apart and store it in an airtight container. It will remain good for weeks.
Expert tips and FAQ's
- The seeds can be mixed and matched depending on your liking and availability.
- If vegan, skip the honey and use maple syrup.
- Make sure the batter/ dough is not too wet. This will increase the baking time.
- Spreading the batter evenly ensures that the crisp bread bakes and browns evenly. Otherwise it will become brown in the edges too quickly.
- This crisp bread stays good for weeks in room temperature. This is a best snack to carry for hikes for a burst of energy.
Calories: 55kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 31mg | Potassium: 63mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg