Mexican Wedding Cookies | Hazelnut Butter Balls
If you are looking to make the most addictive edible gift to make for holidays, then try this Mexican Wedding Cookies recipe. Also known as Hazelnut Butterballs, these cookies literally melt in your mouth.
Servings: 60 small cookies
- Butter Unsalted – 1 cup (room temp)
- All Purpose flour – 2 cups
- Granulated Sugar - ⅔ cup can use ½ cup if you prefer less sweeter cookies
- Vanilla – 2 tsp
- Hazelnut or pecans or walnuts – 1 ½ cups finely chopped
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Powdered sugar – for coating
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line couple of baking trays with parchment and keep aside.
In the bowl of a mixer, add the sugar and the butter.
Cream them until light and fluffy (about 5 mins). Now add the salt and the vanilla and mix them well.
To the butter mixture, add the flour little by little and mix well until completely incorporated and forms dough.
Now add the chopped nuts and mix it well.
Make about half inch balls and place them in the prepared cookies sheet.
Bake them for about 25 min or until slightly browned.
As soon as they come out of the oven, roll them in powdered sugar and set aside in a cooling rack. Be extremely careful since the cookies would be really hot and very fragile. It is very important to roll them as soon as they come out of the oven to get the sugar to coat well.
Once the cookies have cooled down entirely, roll them again, for the second time in the powdered sugar.
- It is very important to use good quality, fresh nuts as the recipe uses quite a bit of them. The cookies take up a lot of flavor from the nuts and you want them to taste the best.
- Remove the cookies from the oven as soon as they are light golden brown.
- Roll them in powdered sugar right after they come out of the oven. Using a spoon helps as the sugar melts quite a bit when handling with fingers.
- It is essential that we roll them again in powdered sugar once the cookies cool down entirely.