Ginger Pickle | Pickled Ginger
A perfect crunchy pickle made with tender ginger roots and green chilies pairs absolutely well with stuffed flatbread. A quick and easy pickle that involves no cooking.
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 cup Ginger thinly sliced
- 1 Large lemon Lemon juice
- 3 Green chilies sliced lengthwise
- to tastes Salt
Wash the ginger well. Remember ginger is a root that is under the ground and hence has lot of dirt in it.
Peel the skin using a peeler. A good peeler comes in very handy for this messy job.
Now cut the ginger into very thin slices and then julienne them into thin strips. Ginger root could be fibrous especially if it is a mature root and cutting it in one direction works better. You will realize which direction is better as you are slicing the ginger.
Place the chopped ginger in a bowl and add the salt needed. Toss it well and leave it aside for 10 to 15 minutes for the ginger to become a little soft.
Now add the sliced green chilies and the juice of the lemon and mix well. Let the pickle marinate for at least couple of hours before serving. I left it overnight in the refrigerator and then served it the following afternoon for lunch.
Keep any unused Pickled Ginger in an air tight jar in the refrigerator.
Expert tips and FAQ's
- Wash the ginger very well before slicing. It is a root vegetable and grows under the soil and hence needs a good wash.
- A good peeler comes in very handy to peel the ginger.
- Make sure to select fresh and tender ginger as they are less fibrous and tastes much better.
- It tastes even better when served chilled.
Calories: 12kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 46mg | Potassium: 45mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 1mg