Instant Pot Tomato Biriyani
A quick and easy rice recipe to make with fresh homegrown tomatoes. A great one pot meal to make for weeknight dinner or to pack for lunch box.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1.5 cups Basmati rice soaked for about ½ hr and then drained
- 2.5 cups Water
- 4 pieces Tomatoes chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seed
- 1 tsp Kadalai paruppu/Channa dal
- 4 Red chilies
- ½ inch Cinnamon
- 1 Bay leaf
- 10 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- Salt – to taste
- 1 tbsp Oil/butter
- Cilantro for garnish
Add oil and/or butter in the Instant pot. Press the saute button and let the oil / butter heat up.
Add the mustard seeds, cumin seed, channa dal, bay leaf, cinnamon, red chilies and curry leaves. Fry for a minute until the seasonings are aromatic and fried.
At this stage add the onion, ginger and garlic and sauté until the onions are golden brown.
Add the chopped tomato and cook for couple of minutes.
Now add the water, salt and garam masala powder. Bring it to boil.
Now add the soaked and drained rice. Turn off the Instant Pot from the saute function. Close the lid and set the seal to 'sealing' position. Cook on pressure cook mode for 5 minutes and then do a 10 minutes quick release.
Garnish with cilantro and serve with Cucumber raita or any raita of your choice.
- Use good quality tomatoes for best result. This is the perfect recipe to use the home grown tomatoes from your backyard.
- Add slightly less water than usually required because the tomatoes have high water content and that would compensate for the remainder of the water.
- Let the rice rest for 10 mins before stirring, otherwise you would end up with mushy rice.
- This recipe can be made on stove top as well. Follow all the steps in a heavy bottom pan and cover the pan after adding the rice. Now cook it in low heat for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the rice cooked.
Calories: 327kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 17mg | Potassium: 283mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 523IU | Vitamin C: 117mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 1mg