Vangi Bath | Brinjal / Eggplant Rice
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 cup Rice Uncooked , I use sona masoori
- 3 cups Eggplant / Brinjal Any kind, chopped into small cubes
- 4 tbsp Homemade spice powder Check for recipe and ingredients below
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ⅛ tsp Asafetida
- 2 Green Chilies
- ¼ cup Peanuts I used slightly crushed
- few Curry Leaves
- to taste Salt
To make the Homemade Spice Powder
- 1 tbsp Kadalai paruppu / Channa dal
- 1 tbsp Ullutham Paruppu / Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 4 Red chilies
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds
- ½ inch piece Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds / Vendhayam
- 6 Cloves
- 2 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
Make the homemade spice powder
Dry roast all the ingredients individually, that is mentioned for the spice powder. (1)
Let the roasted ingredients cool down to room temperature and then grind them together into a coarse powder. (2)
To make the Vangi Bath
Cook the rice and let it cool down. Hint - Adding a tsp of oil in the rice helps to keep the grains separate. I use Instant Pot to cook my rice.
Heat a wide pan and add about 1 TBSP of oil. Add the seasoning ingredients and let it fry for about 30 seconds. Also add the peanuts along with seasonings. (1)
Now add the chopped eggplant, turmeric powder and salt and fry it for about 4-5 minutes in medium flame. Make sure that the eggplants do not get mushy. (2)
Next add the ground masala powder along with the tamarind extract. Cook it covered for about 5-6 minutes until the eggplants are well cooked but still remain intact.
Add the cooked rice to the eggplant mixture and gently mix to coat. Let it cook for about 2 more minutes. Check for seasoning and adjust salt if needed.
Expert tips and FAQ's -
- Keep the chopped eggplants immersed in water until ready to use. This helps in retaining the color of the eggplant without turning them brown.
- Dry roast the ingredients needed for the spice powder individually.
- You can make a double or triple batch of the spice powder and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer to use for later.
- Cook and cool the rice before using it in the recipe. This is a great recipe to make with leftover rice.
Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 88mg | Potassium: 447mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 443IU | Vitamin C: 69mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 3mg