Bengali Dum Aloo | Niramish Aloor Dum
The sight of baby potatoes immediately means making this delicious Bengali Dum Aloo also called the Niramish Aloor Dum recipe. This is a classic 'No Onion and No Garlic' recipe and the best accompaniment to the Green Peas Kachori.
Servings: 6 servings
- 20 Baby potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon Asafetida
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 Green chilies
- 2 large Tomatoes chopped
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or grated ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoon Red chili powder adjust based on your spice level
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 cup Sour curd / yogurt
- Cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- to taste Salt
Puree the tomatoes, ginger and green chilies and keep it aside.
Boil the baby potatoes in a open pot until they are fork tender. Make sure not to overcook them.
Peel the potatoes and then add about a teaspoon of oil and place it in the air fryer basket (1).
Air fry them at 390 F for about 12 to 15 minutes or until they are golden brown all around. Toss the basket couple of time in between for even roasting (2).
Pan Frying - If pan frying the potatoes, add about 2 tablespoon of oil in a wide pan and fry the potatoes until they are evenly golden brown on all sides.
Making the Subzi
Heat a pan and add oil. Add the asafetida, bay leaf, cumin seeds and fennel seeds (1). Fry for minute until the spices are fragrant.
Add the tomato, ginger and green chili puree (2).
Mix well and add all the dry spice powders (turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and garam masala) along with salt and sugar (3).
Fry well until all the spices are well mixed and the oil floats on the top (4).
Now add the fried baby potatoes (5) and mix well (6). Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
Then add the sour curd/yogurt and mix well (7).
Add about half a cup of water to adjust the consistency of the gravy (8).
Let the gravy boil in low flame for about 8-10 minutes.
Serve hot with kachoris!
Expert Tips and FAQ's
- Choose similar size potatoes. That helps in cooking them evenly.
- The potatoes are typically deep fried, but they can be pan fried or air fried. Air fryer works the best for this No onion and no garlic Dum aloo recipe as it evenly roasts the potatoes without much oil.
- Cook the gravy in low flame after the yogurt is added otherwise the gravy will appear curdled.
- The tomatoes can be used without pureeing as chunks if preferred.
- Sugar is optional, but it helps in cutting down the sour flavor to some extent.
Calories: 239kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 121mg | Potassium: 1018mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 746IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 2mg