Milagai, Kathirikkai, And Kodaimilagai Bajji | Fritters
Bajji is a very popular street food all over India. This is one snack that when made one can’t stop with eating just a few.
Servings: 20 Bajjis
- 1 cup Kadalai Maatvu/Besan/Chickpeas flour
- ½ cup Arisi maavu/rice flour
- 2 tbsp. Maida/APF
- ¼ tsp. Baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Asafetida
- to taste Salt
- 1 tbsp. Hot oil Optional
- to deep fry Oil
- 1 medium Eggplant
- 4 Bajji Milagai
- 1 Bell Pepper
Prepare the vegetables –
Clean all the vegetables and wipe them dry. With the eggplants, slice them horizontally into circles about 1 cm thick. With the milagai, cut them straight in between vertically, remove all the seeds and then keep them aside. If preferred, you could just make a slit and remove the seeds and then keep the peppers intact. I cut them into two because mine was very big. With the bell peppers, cut them into 1 inch thick vertical slices. Keep this all aside.
To make the batter –
Combine all the ingredients except the oil and the vegetables and mix well. To this add a tablespoon of hot oil. This step helps in preventing the bajjis from soaking too much oil. Now slowly add water and make it into a thick batter. The batter should be just thick enough to coat the vegetables.
Heat oil in a deep pan.
Dip individual slices of vegetables in the batter and then add them to the hot oil. Fry on both sides until golden brown and drain it on a paper towel.
Serve hot with tea as a snack or as I like it, for dinner with a bowl of curd rice.
- Keep all the flour handy when making the bajjis. Depending on the size of the vegetables, the batter might not be enough to make them all. If that happens, you could just eyeball it and add a handful or 2 of each flour, add more salt and then make the batter again.
- Any other preferred vegetables could also be used like potatoes, cauliflower, bread, onions, raw banana, and so on. If using cauliflower, I would steam them first to cook it halfway through and then dip it in the batter.
Calories: 60kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 54mg | Potassium: 122mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 236IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg