To make the Dough - – Semolina flour – Salt – Oil – Water To make the filling - – Onion – Tomato – Carrot – Green chilies – Ketchup – Roasted cumin powder – Salt – Pepper – Oil
– Combine the semolina flour and salt in a bowl and mix it together.
– Slowly add water to make soft dough. Knead the dough until it is elastic. – Add oil and continue to knead. Let the dough rest.
– Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add the finely chopped onions and saute it until translucent.
– Now add the grated carrot and saute. – Add the green chilies along with the diced tomatoes and let it come to a boil. – At this point, add the salt and pepper, along with ketchup and cumin powder. If the canned tomatoes already has salt, just add enough to taste.
– Simmer and let the mixture thicken. It will take some time to get to the right consistency. – Let the filling cool down before we start assembling the Mahjouba.
– Divide the dough into balls. Coat each piece with oil and place it on a greased surface. – Spread the ball with the heel of your hand to form a very thin circle. – Stretch the edges and make it as thin as possible. The dough has to be well kneaded and rested so it does not tear much.
– Spread about 2 heaped tablespoon of the filling in the center and fold the two opposite ends to meet at the center.
– Now fold the other two ends to come to the center and form a envelope.
– Heat a flat griddle and spray it with some oil. – Place the shaped Mahjouba on the hot pan and cook it on both sides until golden brown. – Repeat the same with the rest of the dough. – Let it cool slightly and then serve.