For the Dough – Bread Flour – Active dry yeast – Sugar – Warm water may need more or less – Salt – Olive oil For the topping – Onion – Poppy seeds –Oil – Salt
– Measure warm water and add the yeast and the sugar. Mix well and let it proof. At the end, the yeast mixture should appear foamy and frothy.
– Measure warm water and add the yeast and the sugar. Mix well and let it proof. – In the bowl of a mixer, add the flour salt and olive oil along with the yeast mixture. – Run the mixer on low and knead the dough until very soft and pliable. – Place the dough in a greased bowl and let it rise until doubled in volume.
– When the dough is rising, we will make the caramelized onion filling. – Heat a cast iron pan with oil. Once the oil heats up, add the thinly sliced onions along with salt. – Saute the onions and reduce the heat to low. Let the onions caramelize until they become light golden brown. – Let the filling cool down.
– Once the dough has doubled in volume, punch it down gently. – Grease the baking tray liberally with oil and place the dough on the pan, flatten it. Spread the dough evenly. – Cover the pan and let the dough rest. – In the meantime, preheat the oven. – Once the dough has rested, make dimples with your fingers.
– Evenly spread the caramelized onion and then sprinkle the poppy seeds. – Bake for about 20 minutes until the Pletzel is evenly browned.
– Remove from the oven and let it cool a bit. Slice it into pieces and serve.