– Rice I used sona masoori – Tuvaram Paruppu / toor dal – Tomatoes about 1 cup chopped – chilies – Ginger – Black peppercorn – Cumin seeds / jeeragam – Turmeric powder – Asafetida – Ghee – Mustard seeds – Lemon juice – Cilantro – to taste Salt
– Prep work - Soak the toor dal / tuvaram paruppu in water for about 10 to 15 minutes. – Turn the instant pot on sauté mode.
– Add the Ghee and then when it heats up, add the mustard seeds. – In the meantime, grind together, tomato, ginger, black pepper, cumin, seeds, drained lentil (toor dal), and green chilies. – Add this to the instant pot along with turmeric powder, asafoetida, and salt. Mix well.
– Add the washed and drained rice, and mix to combine. Now add the water needed. I used about 3 cups of water. We can adjust the consistency to make it runnier after the rasam sadam is done cooking. – Set the instant pot on pressure cook mode.
– I also placed a trivet and then placed some white rice to cook to use for Yogurt rice. – Once the instant pot turns off let the pressure release naturally. – Open the lid and carefully mix everything together.
– If you prefer smoother and creamier rasam rice, gently mash everything together using a ladle. – Adjust the consistency of the rice by adding hot water. Again I used close to one cup of hot water to make my rasam sadam more flowing in consistency. At this stage also check for salt and adjust it.
– Add the lemon juice and garnish with cilantro.