– Steel cuts oats – Yogurt – Onion finely chopped – Green chilies slit – Red chilies – Ginger finely grated – Curry leaves few – Mustard seeds - tap to see more ...
– Add a drop of oil to a pan and fry the oats until aromatic. This step is optional but it releases a lovely nutty flavor which I love.
– Add about 2 cups of water to the fried oats and let it cook in low flame until soft. It takes a good 15 to 20 minutes for the oats to cook. If using rolled oats, it will take very less time than this. Also add a pinch of salt when the oats is cooking.
– Meanwhile heat the oil in another pan. Add the mustard seeds and urad dal. When the seeds splutter, add the red chilies, curry leaves, green chilies, asafetida and ginger. Fry for about 30 seconds.
– Now add the chopped onions and let it fry for about 2-3 minutes. Make sure that the onions still have a crunch to it. – Add the seasonings to the cooked oats along with salt needed. Whip the yogurt a little bit and then add it to the oats. Mix well and garnish with cilantro.
– Serve the Thayir Oats with pickles or as is.