– Rice – Payatham paruppu / Moong dal – Black pepper / Milagu – Cumin seeds / Jeeragam – Ginger – Ghee or oil or a mix of both – Curry leaves – Asafetida – Salt – Turmeric powder – Cashew nuts (optional)
– In a heavy bottom pan, roast the moong dal without any oil until it aromatic and light brown. Now add the rice as well and give it a mix. Fry until the rice is heated through. – Transfer this rice/dal mixture in a vessel that you are going to use to cook it, and wash it well.
– Add enough water and cook it along with turmeric powder in a pressure cooker until the rice/dal is cooked very well and mushy. – Meantime, grind the black pepper and cumin seeds into a coarse powder in a spice grinder.
– Once the rice is cooked, mash it well with a potato masher or a heavy spoon. Heat the ghee in a pan and add black pepper, curry leaves, asafetida, ginger and cashew nuts and fry a bit. Now add the ground cumin/pepper mixture and mix well.
– Add the cooked rice/dal along with salt needed and mix well. Adjust the consistency by adding a little water if needed. If preferred, add a tablespoon more of ghee on top and serve steaming hot with Gothsu or Chutney.