Coconut Rice | Thengai Sadam
A Simple and flavorful rice made with a spiced coconut mixture is a delight for lunch boxes. Freshly grated coconut adds a lovely aroma to this Vegan Coconut Rice also known as Thengai Sadam in Tamil.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 cups Rice cooked and cooled
- ¾ cup Coconut freshly grated or grated frozen
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoon Ullutham paruppu/urad dal
- 2 tablespoon Cashew nuts
- 2 Red chilies
- 2 Green chilies
- few Curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon Asafetida
- 1 tablespoon Oil coconut oil is preferred
Cook rice and let it cool down to room temperature.
In a pan, add the oil and then all the seasonings (mustard seeds, urad dal, chilies, curry leaves, cashew nut and asafetida. Let the seasonings fry for a couple of minutes
Once the seasonings are fried, add the grated coconut. Let the coconut fry till it just begins to change color. Also add the salt at this stage and mix well. Do not let the coconut change color, since then the mixed rice will not be white.
Now add this mixture to the cooling rice or vice versa and mix well. Check and adjust salt if needed.
Serve the Thengai Saadham with appalam/Papad or Vadam. It is also served with More Kuzhambu.
Expert tips to make Perfect Coconut Rice
- Cook the rice and cool it well before using it in the recipe. This helps in keeping the rice from becoming sticky.
- Use coconut oil in the recipe to make it aromatic and delicious.
- Cashew nuts can be replaced with peanuts.
- Do not allow the coconut to change color when frying. Then the coconut rice will become darker in color. Fry it in low flame to make sure that it does not become brown.
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 82mg | Potassium: 187mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 214IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 1mg