Kara Pori Mixture | Murmure Mixture
This spiced Kara Pori Mixture made of puffed rice, nuts and raisins makes a great evening snack with a cup of coffee or tea. This recipe takes just about 30 minutes to make.
Servings: 8 Cups
- 6 cups Puffed rice / pori / murmure
- ½ cups Pottu kadalai / roasted gram / dalia
- ½ cups Peanuts
- ½ cups Almonds
- ½ cups Raisin
- 4 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon Asafetida
- 2 teaspoon Red chili powder adjust based on your spice level
- to taste Salt
Measure all the ingredients and keep them ready before we start making the mixture. ll the ingredients go in one after the other in a quick order and hence keeping everything measured and ready helps.
We need a large (tall) pot to make the mixture as mixing would be a easier. Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds crackles, add pottu kadalai/roasted gram and fry until it is lightly roasted and light brown in color.
Next add the almonds and the peanuts and let it fry as well until lightly brown. Now add the curry leaves and let it fry.
Add the raisins and fry for couple of minutes until the raisins are puffed up.
Now add the asafetida, turmeric powder, salt, and give a good mix.
Add the red chili powder and right after add the puffed rice and mix well. It helps to hold the handles of the pot and shake the pot to help thoroughly mix.
Let the puffed rice remain in low heat for 4 to 5 minutes to make it crunchy. Keep mixing the mixture to avoid burning.
Let the mixture cool down entirely before storing in an airtight container.
Expert tips and FAQ's
- When making this Kara Pori Mixture, use a large pot. It makes it easier to stir as there could be a lot of spilling otherwise.
- Also make sure that you have all the ingredients measured and lined up as they go in quickly one after the other into the pot.
- Sliced dehydrated coconut could also be added to the Kara pori mixture. I did not use any as my little one is not a big fan of coconut.
Calories: 276kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 16mg | Potassium: 231mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 5mg