Spicy Diamond Buscuit | Maida Biscuit
The most addictive savory snack that you will ever make is this Spicy Diamond Biscuit. A favorite during the Diwali festival season, this Maida biscuit is absolutely kid approved and a great snack for the entire family.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 cup Maida All purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Oil Plus more to deep fry
- ¾ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Omam / Ajwain
- to taste Salt
In a bowl, add the flour, red chili powder, and the oman. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a small pan and add the hot oil to the flour mixture. Now add water little by little and make it into a stiff dough. Cover the dough with a moist cloth and let it rest for at least half an hour. It is very important to rest the dough, otherwise, it will be hard to roll it out.
Once the dough has rested, divide it into or 3 equal portions. Dust the dough with flour and roll it out to form a thin circle.
Using the pizza cutter, cut the rolled out dough into thin strips about ½ inch wide. Now cut it horizontally to form a diamond shape.
Remove the cut pieces and lay them out on a plate. The dough scraper helps a lot to scoop out the cut pieces.
In the meantime heat the oil. Add the cut pieces to the oil and deep fry them until golden brown and crisp. Makes sure you fry these on medium flame, otherwise the outer will cook too quickly and the inside will still be soft. To get a crunchy texture, fry it in low to medium flame.
Drain it on a paper towel and once cooled, transfer it into an airtight container.
- Make sure to make a stiff dough with the all purpose roll. That helps when rolling and also to keep the shape of the diamond.
- Adding hot oil to the dough helps in making the maida snack crunchy.
- Use a dough scraper or a flat spatula to remove the cut dough pieces from the surface.
- Dust the dough liberally with flour before rolling to help remove them easily after rolling.
- Deep fry the diamond biscuits in medium flame through out. If the heat is too high, they will become too dark outside and yet remain soft inside.
Calories: 121kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 22mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 75IU | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 1mg