Pecan Shortbread Cookies | Pecan Sandies
Shortbread cookies are one of the easiest and the most delicious cookies to make and this Pecan Shortbread Cookies is just that. If you love the commercial Pecan Sandies, then you have to try this recipe to make it at home.
Servings: 30 Cookies
- ¾ lbs Unsalted Butter 3 sticks at room temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Almond extract
- 3 ½ cups All purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ cups Pecans diced into tiny pieces
In a bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
In an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugar. Beat until just combined.
Add the vanilla and the almond extract.
Add the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture.
Add the pecans and mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together.
Dump the mixture onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in a plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Roll the chilled dough ½ inch thick and cut them into desired shape. I used the plastic wrap on top of my dough when rolling. This made rolling easy and gave a smooth surface for the cookie.
Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 20 - 22 mins, until the edges become brown.
Allow to cool to room temperature and then serve or store as desired.
Expert tips and FAQ's
- ½ cup of toasted coconut could be added to the dough for extra flavor.
- Pecans can be substituted with almonds, walnuts or any nuts of your choice.
- Nuts can be totally avoided and can be made as a plain shortbread cookie.
- Can we freeze the cookie dough? - The dough freezes very well. Make a double batch and freeze the excess dough.
- How to thaw the shortbread cookie dough? Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator before making the cookies.
- Can I use salted butter? Yes, you can use salted butter. But make sure not to add any extra salt in the recipe.
- If using slightly older pecans, make sure to toast them a bit and then cool them before using.
- Don't skip the refrigeration part of the cookie dough. That is what helps from the cookies from spreading out.
- Remove the cookies from the oven just when the edges are browning. They turn a shade darker once taken out.
Calories: 195kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 21mg | Potassium: 39mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 286IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 1mg