Chow Chow Carrot Kootu | Chayote Squash And Carrot Stew
Chow chow carrot kootu is the perfect comfort food when I am craving for some. This delicious kootu made with chayote squash and carrot and a coconut based masala is very quick to make.
Servings: 4 people
- 2 Chow – chow/ Chayote squash/Bangalore kathirikkai Chopped into small cubes
- 3 Carrot Chopped into small cubes
- ⅓rd cup Payatham paruppu Green gram dhal
- ¼th cup Coconut Grated
- 2 Green chilies
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Raw rice
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- to taste Salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar Optional
TO SEASON –
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal/ black gram dhal
- 2 Dry red chilies
- ½ teaspoon Asafetida
- few Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Oil Preferably coconut oil
Chop the vegetables and place them in a pot with the payatham paruppu and add enough water to cover them. Add turmeric powder and cook it until tender.
Now add the salt and let it cook for 5 more minutes. Add the salt only after the vegetables and dhal has cooked. If you add the salt before, it takes longer to cook.
Meanwhile, grind together coconut, cumin seeds, green chilies, and rice into a smooth paste adding little water.
Once the vegetable and dhal are cooked, add the ground paste and let it come to a boil. Simmer for about 10 more minutes till the kootu has reached the desired consistency.
Seasoning - Heat oil in a small pan and add all the ingredients listed under the seasoning. Add this to the Simmering kootu and mix well.
Serve chow-chow carrot kootu hot with rice. Also goes well with chapatti or dosai.
- Any vegetable can be added to the kootu.
- Do not add too much water when cooking the vegetable. Just add enough water to cover the vegetables, otherwise, the kootu might be too watery in consistency.
- The rice in the ground mixture is to thicken the kootu. If you forget to add it, you could dissolve a teaspoon of rice flour in about a tablespoon of water and add it to the kootu when it is simmering at the end.
Calories: 153kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 117mg | Potassium: 329mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 7891IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2mg