Sweet and Sour Vegetables
A most delicious and easy to make stir fry with loads of vegetables and tofu makes this Sweet and sour vegetables one of my favorite. Serve it with some brown rice or jasmine rice and you will never need the take-out again.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 block Extra firm or firm tofu 14 or 16 oz
- 1 cup Pineapples canned or fresh
- 1 Carrot cut into circles or small cubes
- 1 Onion Sliced
- 1 Bell pepper any color of your choice (Cut into small cubes)
- 1 Zucchini sliced
- 1 cup Baby Bok Choy or cabbage chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
To make the sauce –
- 1 cup Pineapple juice drained from the canned pineapple or fresh
- 4 tbsp Rice vinegar can be substituted with regular vinegar
- 1 tbsp Corn starch mixed with 4 tbsp of water
- 3 tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 tsp Soy sauce
- 2 tsp Hot sauce depending on your spice level
Mix all the ingredients listed under the sauce and keep aside.
Drain the tofu and pat it dry. I generally wrap the drained tofu in between layers of paper towels or kitchen cloth and place some weight on it to drain all the water out of it. After about 15 mins, cut the tofu into 1 inch cubes. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok or a large pan and add the cut tofu. Shallow fry it until light golden brown, drain and keep aside.
After removing the tofu from the wok, add the remaining 2 tbsp of oil in the same wok. Once the oil heats up add the sliced onions and sauté until light brown.
Then add the ginger and garlic and fry for a minute.Now add all the chopped vegetables except the Bok Choy and stir fry on high heat until cooked but still has a crunch.
Now add the Bok Choy and cook for 3-4 more mins until the Bok Choy softens a bit.
Mix the prepared sauce well and add it to the vegetables.
Let the sauce come to a boil and then add the pineapple chunks and the fried tofu to the curry.
Let the curry simmer for 3-4 mins until it thickens to the desired consistency.Serve hot over rice.
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 308mg | Potassium: 604mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 3618IU | Vitamin C: 84mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 2mg