Moong Dal Pakoda | Mung dal Vada Recipe
Moong dal pakoda is an quick and easy appetizer or snack to make for evening tea time. This tiny vada made with yellow mung dal is nutritious and loaded with protein and is very addictive. So be sure to make more for seconds.
Servings: 6 people
- 1 cup Yellow Moong Dal /Payatham paruppu Soaked for about 2-3 hrs
- 1 small Onion Chopped very fine
- 4 Green chilies Minced
- ½ inch piece Ginger Grated
- ½ cup Cilantro Chopped finely
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Fennel seeds
- to taste Salt
- for deep drying Oil
Wash and soak the moong dal in water for about 2 to 3 hrs. Drain it completely and grind it into a coarse paste adding no water. Make sure that the batter is little coarse and not too smooth. I also grind my ginger, green chilies, cumin seeds and fennel seeds along with the lentils.
Now add the finely chopped onions and cilantro to the lentil batter and mix well. Add the salt needed.
Heat the oil in a pan and once the oil heats, add little dumplings from the prepared batter and drop in into oil. I like to use a spoon to keep it less messy. Depending on the size of the pan we could add a few dumplings at the same time to fry.
Fry them until they are golden brown all around and then drain them on a paper towel lined dish.
Serve hot with green chutney or sweet chutney!
Wash and soak Moong dal in adequate water and then grind it after draining completely.
- If grinding the chilies and ginger, add them to the blender jar first and give it a coarse grind and then add the lentils. In this way the lentils won't become too mushy.
- Heat the oil until hot and then reduce the flame to medium before dropping the pakodas in oil. This way the pakoda will cook evenly from all the sides. Also this will ensure that the outside of the pakoda does not become dark before the interior cooks.
- Serve it warm. The pakoda can e reheated in the air fryer or in a low setting in the oven or toaster oven.
Calories: 217kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 111mg | Potassium: 31mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 159IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg