Keerai Milagootal | Spinach / Keerai Kootu
Keerai Molagootal or Keerai Kootu is an excellent side dish to accompany rice for a sumptuous meal. This version is more famous in Kerala. It takes about 30 minutes to make this spinach kootu and is an excellent recipe to make for quick dinner.
Servings: 4 people
- 4 cups Spinach of firmly packed leaves
- ¼ cup Tuvaram paruppu/toor dal
- to taste Salt
To fry and grind together –
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 3 teaspoon Ullutham paruppu /Urad dal
- 1 teaspoon Jeeragam/cumin seeds
- 3 Red chilies
- ¼ cup Coconut grated
To season –
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ullutham paruppu/urad dal
- 1 or 2 Red chilies
Wash the dal and cook until mushy. Keep it aside.
In a small pan, fry the ingredients mentioned above and once it cools grind it into a smooth paste.
In a pan, cook the keerai with very little water (uncovered) until it reduces in volume and becomes soft (about 6-7 minutes).
If you have a hand blender, grind the keerai until smooth or grind it in blender. If using a regular blender/mixer, make sure that the keerai cools down a bit before grinding.
Add the ground mixture, salt and the cooked dal and mix well. Bring it to a boil and then simmer for few minutes (about 5-7) minutes.
Season the Keerai Milagootal with mustard seeds, urad dal and red chilies and serve hot with rice.
Keerai molagootal tastes great with hot rice and dollop of ghee. I also like to make some dry poriyal or salad with the meal. My younger one likes the simple carrot kosumalli / salad with it and that is what I made today with Keerai molagootal.
Always cook the spinach without the lid on the pan. Not sure of the reason, but my mother always said to cook it without covering.
- If you have chopped the spinach finely, we can get away without grinding it as well.
- Use coconut oil to fry the ingredients as well as to season the molagootal. Coconut oil enhances the flavor of the dish to the next level.
- Molagootal can be made with mixed vegetables as well. We use the same recipe except use mixed vegetables instead of spinach.
Calories: 93kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 34mg | Potassium: 209mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2985IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 2mg