– All purpose flour – Granulated white sugar – Baking Powder – Egg – Sour cream Can be substituted with yogurt – Milk – Tap to see more ...
Make the filling – Make sure the butter is cold and cube into small pieces. – In a bowl, combine 1 cup of brown sugar, ¼ cup of all-purpose flour, and 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon. Mix well to combine.
– Add the cold butter pieces and combine it with the sugar mixture. I use my hands to combine, but a fork will work fine. This is going to be the cinnamon sugar layer in between the muffins and also the crumble layer on top.
Make the Muffin batter – In a large bowl, combine egg and white granulated sugar. Whisk it well to combine. – Now add oil, sour cream, and milk along with 2 teaspoons of vanilla, and mix well.
– Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. I use a sieve directly over the wet ingredients and sift the dry ingredients. – Mix it gently with a whisk or a spatula. Do not over mix as they will make the muffins dense.
Baking the cinnamon roll muffins – Preheat the oven. – Line the muffin tins with a muffin liner. The cinnamon sugar layer in the middle of the muffin oozes out and when it sticks to the muffin tin, it is hard to unmold the muffins.
– Fill the muffin tin with about 1 heaped tablespoon of batter. – Then add about 1 tablespoon of cinnamon sugar mixture in the center. Make sure to leave about ½ cup of filling to use as a crumble/streusel topping.
– Now top the tin with the remaining batter evenly distributing it between the muffin tins. – Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the muffins. – Bake cinnamon roll muffins until light brown.
– Remove the muffins onto a cooling rack and let them cool down to room temperature before drizzling them with cream cheese drizzle.