Recently I joined a group on Face book called the Low GI Vegetarian food. I have been seeing so many wonderful posts on Low GI food that I was forced to try one of the recipes.
For people who are new to Quinoa, it is grain like crop, harvested for its seeds. It is not a true grain, but can be related to a grain. Quinoa has the highest protein content of all the grains, so it’s perfect for vegetarians and vegans. It also provides all 9 essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. Quinoa is a gluten-free and cholesterol-free whole grain and is almost always organic.
Quinoa can be used in almost every rice dish substituting it for rice. This Quinoa Pulao is one such recipe. If you are looking for a way to shed some pounds, grab the quinoa instead of white rice.
Preparation time – 10 mins plus half an hour to soak the quinoa
Cooking time – 40 mins
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients to make Quinoa Pulao – (serves 4)
- Quinoa – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Mixed vegetables – 1 cup (I used carrots, beans, peas and bell pepper)
- Green chilies – 2 (sliced)
- Saunf/fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 stick
- Bay leaves – 2
- Star Anise – 1 (optional)
- Cardamom – 3
- Raisins – 1/4th cup
- Ghee or oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Garam masala – ¼ tsp
- Wash the quinoa well under running cold water. Soak it for about ½ hr and then drain it and keep aside.
- In a kadai or a non stick pan, heat some oil or ghee and add the masala items (saunf, cinnamon, bay leaf, star anise and Cardamom). Fry them for couple of minute or until fragrant and then add the raisins
- Fry it for a minute until the raisins fluff up and then add the onions and green chilies.
- Sauté until onions are translucent and then add the vegetables.
- Sauté them for few minutes (about 5 mins) and then add the drained quinoa. Fry the quinoa until all the moisture evaporates (about 7-8 mins).
- Add the salt and the garam masala powder. Add about 2 cups of water and let it come to boil over medium high heat.
- Then simmer and cook covered until the quinoa is cooked and all the water is evaporated (about 20 mins). This can be also cooked in cooker.
- If there is some moisture left after the quinoa is cooked, you could open the lid and let it evaporate, stirring frequently.
- Serve the Quinoa Pulao with Raita