– Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease them with non stick spray. – In a wide bowl sift together the flours, baking powder and salt. – Add the cubed softened butter to it and using a pastry blender (my hands were the pastry blender); combine the butter with the flour until it resembles coarse sand. – Now add the powdered sugar and mix well.
– Add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time and knead the flour to form stiff dough. Do not be tempted to add more milk.
– On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into ⅛ inch thickness.
– Using a round cookies cutter (about 2 ½ inch in diameter), cut out the dough and lay them on the prepared baking sheets.
– Using a fork, prick evenly on the surface of the cookies.
– Bake them in a preheated oven for about 15-18 minutes. Mine took about 16 minutes to become pale brown. Remove them when they are light brown and then cool them entirely on cooling racks. – Store the English Digestive Biscuits in an airtight container once completely cooled.