1 h 30 m
– Mixed Vegetables – lemon size Tamarind – Sāmbar powder – Toor dal – Salt – Asafetida – Curry leaves – Oil for seasoning – Jaggery/brown sugar – Mustard seeds – Urad dal – Kadalai paruppu / chana dal – Coriander seeds – Urad dal – Red chilies – Coconut grated
– Pressure cook the toor dal and keep aside. – Cut the vegetables into medium size chunks. This could be done the night before to ease the process.
– Soak the tamarind in water and squeeze the juice. Combine the vegetables with the tamarind juice and add the Sāmbhar powder and asafetida. Do not add salt at this point. Let the vegetables cook well and then add the salt. – Meanwhile, fry all the ingredients and grind it into a smooth paste.
– Let the Sāmbhar boil well and check the vegetables, if they are cooked. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the salt and let it boil once. – Now add the ground mixture and the cooked dal and let it come to boil. Let it simmer and then add the jaggery.
– Season it with mustard seeds, urad dal, asafetida, and curry leaves. Serve hot with kali.