– French Green lentil – Sweet red onion finely chopped – Cucumber finely chopped – Tomatoes deseeded – Jalapeno deseeded - (finely chopped) – Cilantro finely chopped – Salt to taste – Pepper to taste To make the Balsamic Vinegar dressing - – Balsamic vinegar – Dijon mustard – Honey
– Rinse the lentils well under running water and soak it in water for about an hour. Soaking is not essential but it helps in cooking the lentils faster. – Once the lentils have soaked for a bit, drain the water and add it to a pot. Add plenty of fresh water to the pot and bring it to a boil.
– Let the lentils cook until it is cooked half way through. Add a bit of salt to the boiling water and let the lentils cook until it is soft when crushed between the fingers, but not mushy. Mine took about 20 minutes to cook after I had soaked it for about an hour. If using lentils without soaking, it might take a little longer to cook.
– Make sure that the lentils still have a bite to them and are not very mushy. Drain it in a colander and let it sit for few minutes until it has drained completely. – In the meantime chop the rest of the vegetables and add it to a serving dish.
– Add the well drained lentil in to the same bowl and add salt and pepper to taste. – To make the dressing - Whisk together all the ingredients mentioned in a small bowl.
– Add the dressing to the lentil mixture and mix well. – Refrigerate the salad for at least couple of hours before serving. The salad can be served at room temperature as well but I preferred it cold.