– Leftover idli – Onion – Carrot – Green chilies – Salt – Lemon/lime juice For seasoning: – Mustard seeds – Cumin seeds – Turmeric powder – Ullutham paruppu/urad dal – Kadalai paruppu/channa dal – Curry leaves – Asafetida – Oil
– Crumble the leftover idlis with your hand and keep it aside.
– Heat the oil in a pan. Add all the ingredients mentioned under seasoning and fry it.
– Now add the finely chopped onion and green chilies and sauté until translucent. Make sure that the onions still have a crunch to it.
– Now add the grated carrots and cook until the carrots are slightly cooked. Also, add salt needed for the vegetables. Keep in mind that the idlis will have salt in it and do not need anymore.
– Add the crumbled idlis and mix well. Add a tablespoon or so of water if the upma looks very dry. Fryю
– Add the lime juice at the end and give it a good mix.
– Serve as is or with some ketchup! My kids like it with ketchup and sugar.