12 h 55 m
– Black Chickpeas / Kala Chana – Yogurt whisked – Chickpea flour / Besan – Oil and/or ghee – Cumin seeds – Green chilies – Asafetida – Red chili powder – Turmeric powder – Cumin & coriander powder – Salt – Cilantro for garnish
– Wash and soak the black chickpeas. Change the soaking water and add fresh water to immerse the beans.
– Cook the chickpeas in a pressure cooker. The black chickpeas takes longer time than the white ones to cook. – Whisk the yogurt and add water, besan, red chili powder, dhania jeera powder, turmeric powder, and just enough salt.
– Whisk it well to clear any lumps and keep it aside. – In a pan, heat the ghee/oil and add the cumin seeds. Let it crackle and then add the asafetida and green chilies. Let it fry.
– Add the whisked yogurt mixture to the pan and mix well. Let it come to a boil and then simmer.
– Now add the cooked chickpeas and mix well. Adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding more water if needed.
– Let the subzi simmer for 10 more minutes for the flavors to combine. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with roti or rice.