– 2 Eggplant / Brinjal I used the long thin ones (about 3 cups chopped) – ½ cup Thuvaram paruppu/red gram dhal cook until soft and mushy – 1 teaspoon Tamarind or a small piece (as big as small lime) –1 teaspoon Turmeric powder – few Curry leaves – ...
– Cook the thuvaram paruppu in enough water until soft and mushy and keep aside. I cook it in Instant pot and cook it. – Soak the tamarind in hot water for few minutes and extract the juice from the tamarind. Squeeze the extract by adding water for about 3 times and keep the water separately.
– Fry all the ingredients listed (coriander seeds, chana dal, red chilies and coconut) and grind into a coarse powder. Keep aside. – Cut the eggplants into 1 inch chunks. Heat oil and add the eggplant chunks and fry it for few minutes or until the eggplants change color to light brown.
– Now add the extracted tamarind water to the eggplant. Make sure that the water covers the vegetable. If not add a little more water to cover the brinjal. – Add salt and turmeric powder and let it boil until the vegetable is cooked well.
– Now add the ground powder and cooked toor dal and mix well. Also add the asafetida and curry leaves and let the mixture come to a boil. – Season the cooked rasavangi with mustard seeds and urad dal and serve hot with rice.