– Fry the kadalai paruppu/channa dal in a pan without any oil until it is golden brown. – Then wash the dal and cook it with enough water in pressure cooker or stove top until the dal is cooked. – Drain the dal and keep it aside.
– Combine the drained dal, jaggery, coconut, cardamom powder and grind it until well incorporated and smooth. – Transfer this mixture to a non stick pan and cook it until it becomes thick. – Once the filling cools down enough, you should be able to make small balls out of this.
– Mix all the ingredients and make it into soft dough. Cover the dough and let it rest. – Take a piece of a banana leaf and apply some oil in the surface. Take a small piece of the dough and spread it with your fingers. – Now place the round filling inside it and close it with the dough all around and pinch the seams.
– With the heel of your palm, slowly apply pressure to the poli and make it even and bigger. – In the meantime, heat a non stick or a cast iron tawa/griddle on medium high heat. Once the poli is spread, transfer the poli with the aluminum foil (or banana leaf) on to the tawa, face side down.
– Wait and then slowly peel the foil from the poli. Apply oil and cook the poli on both the sides until golden brown. – Repeat the same procedure with the rest of the poli. – Serve warm with ghee!