– 1 cup Fine Rava / Semolina – 3 cup Water – ½ cup Onion finely chopped – 2 Tomatoes finely chopped – ½ cup Carrot finely chopped – ¼ cup Green peas – 4 Green chilies cut lengthwise – ...
– Heat a heavy bottom pan and add the rava / semolina to the pan. Dry roast the rava until it just begins to change color. You don't have to let it change color. – Remove the rava in a bowl.
– In the same pan, heat the ghee and/or oil. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add the chana dal, cashew nuts and asafetida and let it fry. – Add the chopped onions and fry until it turns translucent. Add the green chilies, ginger and curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
– Add the chopped tomatoes, carrot and green peas and mix well. Add the turmeric powder and salt needed. Cover the pan and cook until the vegetables are cooked. – Add about 3 cups of water and let it come to a boil.
– Add the roasted rava and mix well, so that there are no lumps. Make sure to cook it on low flame. If the mixture appears too dry, add more water and cook further. Cover the pan and cook the kichadi.
– Turn off the flame and serve the Kichadi warm with coconut chutney!