Saag Aloo | Spinach and Potato Curry
This Spinach and Potato curry is a simple and flavorful Indian recipe that is Vegan and Gluten Free. It works great when served with rice or Indian flatbread.
Servings: 6 Servings
- 12 oz Spinach I used frozen spinach (about 5 cups of spinach if using fresh)
- 4 Potato boiled, peeled and cubed
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3 Tomatoes chopped
- 2 teaspoon Ginger and Garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon Kasoori methi / Dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon Red chili powder adjust based on your taste
- 1 teaspoon Dhania Jeera Powder / Cumin coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- To taste Salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Oil
Boil the potatoes until fork tender and peel them. Cube them into 1 inch pieces and keep it ready.
Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the chopped onions and saute them until translucent.
Now add the ginger and garlic paste and fry for a minute more.
Add the chopped tomatoes along with the spice powders, salt and sugar and cook until the tomatoes are cooked and mushy. Crush the kasoori methi and add it to the onion.tomato mixture.
Add the frozen spinach at this point and mix well. Add about half a cup of water and cook for about 10 minutes in low heat. If using fresh spinach, clean the leaves, chop them and add it.
Add the cubed potatoes and mix well, taking care not to break the potatoes. Add more water if needed and cook for 5 more minutes.
Serve hot with rice or roti!
Expert Tips and FAQ's
- Fresh or frozen spinach works great for the recipe. Love the ease of having frozen spinach available any time to make this delicious curry.
- We can use sweet potato instead of potatoes.
- The curry tastes delicious with flatbread or with plain rice. My favorite is to eat it with simple pulka (whole wheat bread) and plain yogurt.
Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 73mg | Potassium: 1111mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 6096IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 3mg