– Whole wheat pastry flour Substitute with half whole wheat flour – Brown sugar – Baking soda – Baking powder – Buttermilk See tips above to make your own buttermilk – Bananas over ripe works great ...
– Preheat the oven. – In a large bowl, mash the peeled bananas with a fork or whisk. Add the rest of wet ingredients; buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract to the mashed bananas and mix well. Just a whisk work well.
– Sift the dry ingredients; flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl or directly over the wet ingredients. – Gently fold in to combine. Do not over beat or mix hard.
– Add the chopped pineapple pieces and gently fold it in as well. – Line muffin trays with liners or spray with non stick spray. I usually use cupcake liners as they make it easier to store and handle the muffins.
– Using a scoop, divide the batter in the muffin tins. Do not overfill. Just fill them until ¾ full. – Bake in the preheated oven. Mine were ready in about 18 minutes. Keep an eye on the muffins and when they appear brown take them out and test it with a tooth pick.
– Cool the banana pineapple muffins in the muffins tin for about 5 minutes and then take it out and cool it entirely on wire racks.