Baking with whole wheat is one of my favorite as I love the nuttiness of the whole grain. These whole grain Apple Cranberry Muffinsare my ever favorite. Anytime a recipe calls for all purpose flour, I try it once as is, then I try it with 50% wheat flour substitution and sometimes I completely replace the refined flour with whole wheat. I have to say though that not all recipes work great with whole wheat. There are some recipes that just needs the all purpose flour. But as a trend, I have noticed that whole wheat pastry flour works very well when substituted for all purpose flour like these Whole wheat Banana Pineapple muffins.
This recipe, I have not used the pastry flour, but have used the whole wheat flour that I bought in bulk from the local produce. I simply love shopping in that store as they have a wide variety of whole grains in bulk that I can pick as less or more as I want. This has highly reduced the wastage in the house. I usually just use the aata or the wheat flour that I buy from Indian stores, but this time I used the whole wheat flour from the local produce.
The muffins turned out absolutely moist and soft that I will never ever try out refined flour to make this again. Adding the spices in the muffin took the flavors to a different level and I was almost dreaming of fall season. Adding the streusel topping is entirely optional but I would highly recommend it as the muffins were very less sweet without the streusel. I also enjoyed the extra crunch that I got from the streusel.
If you are thinking of making the muffins without streusel, add a little bit more brown sugar or honey in the muffin mixture. I used Fuji apples to make the muffins and it added a little bit sweetness to the muffins. The cranberries added a lovely texture and a tinge of tartness to the muffins which worked great.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking / baking time – 18 – 20 minutes
Difficulty level – easy
Recipe adapted from – here
Ingredients to make Whole Wheat Apple Cranberry Muffins with Streusel Topping – Makes 12 muffins
Dry Ingredients –
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
- Baking powder – ½ tsp
- Baking soda – ¾ tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Nutmeg – ¼ tsp
- All spice – ¼ tsp
Wet Ingredients –
- Honey – ⅓rd cup
- Olive oil or Canola oil – ¼ cup
- Yogurt – ½ cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Apple – 1 medium (peeled and chopped fine)
- Cranberries (dried) – ¼ cup (roughly chopped)
Streusel ingredients –
- Wheat flour – 3 tbsp
- Brown sugar – ½ cup
- Melted butter – 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1 ½ tsp
Procedure to make Whole Wheat Apple Cranberry Muffins with Streusel Topping –
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and keep it aside.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients until well combined and smooth.
- Now add the dry ingredients into the bowl and gently mix to combine. Do not beat at this stage as the muffins will turn out hard. Just mix to combine.
- Add the chopped apples and cranberries and fold in gently.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line the muffin tins with liners and gently spray with oil.
- Combine all the ingredients mentioned under the streusel and keep it ready.
- Fill the muffin tins about ¾th with the batter.
- Evenly sprinkle the streusel topping on each muffin tin.
- Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean when pricked. Leave it in the tin for about 5 minutes to set and then gently take them out and place them on cooling rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container when completely cool.
Pin the recipe here to save for later -