– Palak/spinach chopped – Moong dal/Yellow split lentil/green gram dal – Onion chopped – Tomato chopped – Green chilies slit lengthwise – Oil/ghee – Turmeric powder – Cinnamon – Cloves – Cumin seeds – Ginger garlic paste – Salt – Lime juice
– Wash the Moong dal and cook with enough water. I usually used to cook the dal in the pressure cooker. If cooking over the flame, add enough water to the dal and bring it to boil. Then bring the heat to medium and cook until the dal is cooked and tender.
– Wash the spinach and chop it finely. If using frozen spinach thaw it in the microwave and keep aside. – Add oil/ghee in a pan and when heated, add cumin seeds, cinnamon and cloves. Fry it for a minute.
– Then add the onions, turmeric powder and green chilies. – Once the onions are fried, add the ginger garlic paste. Sauté for a minute and then add the tomatoes along with salt. Cook until the tomatoes are mushy.
– At this stage add the spinach and mix well. Let it cook for about 10 mins or until the spinach is tender.
– Now add the cooked dal. If needed, add water to bring the dal to the required consistency. Let it come to a boil and then simmer.
– Turn off the flame and just before serving add some lime juice. – Serve the Dhal Palak with rotis, pulkas or rice!