– ¾ cup Masoor dal Orange lentils – 1 medium Onion chopped finely – 3 Tomatoes Chopped finely – 2 Green chilies – 1 teaspoon Ginger Finely grated – 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon Red chili powder – ½ inch piece Cinnamon – Tap to see more ...
– Wash the lentils couple of times and then cook it in enough water with a pinch of turmeric powder until soft. – In a pan, heat the ghee or oil or a combination of both and then add the cumin seeds. Once the seeds splutter, add the cinnamon stick and fry.
– Add the onions and sauté until golden brown. Then add the grated ginger and green chilies and fry for a minute more. – Next goes in the chopped tomatoes along with salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder.
– Fry until the tomatoes are mushy. – Now add the cooked dal along with some water (if needed) and let the mixture boil for about 8 – 10 minutes in medium heat.
– Add the cilantro and let it boil for a minute. Remove from flame and add the lemon juice. – Mix well and serve the Nimbu Dal steaming hot.