– Fry the rice flour for 3 to 4 minutes until slightly warm. The rice flour should not change color. – Fry the ullutham paruppu / urad dal until golden brown. I made a large batch to use for later.
– Let it cool down and then grind it into a smooth powder. – In a large bowl, add the rice flour, 1 tablespoon of urad dal flour, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, ajwain, asafetida, salt and butter. Using your hands mix all the ingredients well and incorporate.
– Now add water slowly and make stiff, but soft dough. Keep it covered. – Heat oil in a kadai and start shaping the murukkus on a plate. I had couple of greased plates ready and I made the shape of the murukkus on them.
– Gently slide the prepared murukku into hot oil and fry until pale brown. I fried about 4 murukkus at one time. – Now go back and fry all the half fried murukku in batches again for the second time.
– Let them cool down completely before storing in an air tight container.