– large ones Okra/vendakkai/ladies finger chopped into 1 inch piece – Toovaram paruppu/toor dal uncooked – Lemon size piece Tamarind – Sambhar powder – Asafetida – Curry leaves – Green chilies chopped - Tap to see more ...
– Cook the tuvaram paruppu in pressure cooker until soft and mushy. Mash it well and keep it aside. – Chop the okras into 1 inch piece and keep it ready. Soak the tamarind in about a cup of water for few minutes and then squeeze out the pulp.
– In a medium sauce pan, heat about a teaspoon of oil and then sauté the okra until slightly golden. – Now add the squeezed tamarind water to the vegetable and then add the sambhar powder, asafetida and salt. Let the tamarind water boil.
– Now add the cooked dal/paruppu and mix well. Add about a cup more of water to adjust the consistency of the sambhar. – Let the sambhar come to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes.
– Fry all the ingredients mentioned under the seasoning and add it to the sambhar. – Serve with hot rice and ghee