– Potatoes Peeled and chopped lengthwise, like for French fries – Onion Thinly sliced – Green chilies Thinly sliced – Yogurt Whisked with 1 cup of water – Oil / ghee – Cumin seeds – Cinnamon – Cloves – Cardamom – Asafetida - tap to see more
– Soak the rice in water and then grind it along with the cardamom into a smooth paste. Mix this paste with the yogurt and whisk it well together and keep aside. – In a pan, add the oil and/or ghee. Add the cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves and asafetida and fry for a minute until they turn aromatic.
– Now add the sliced onions and the green chilies and sauté until translucent. – Add the chopped potatoes along with the dry powder spices (Garam masala, turmeric powder, dhania powder) and salt. Mix well.
– Let the potatoes cook in medium flame until they are soft. Add a little water, if needed to cook the potatoes and make sure you cook them covered. – Once the potatoes are cooked, lower the flame and add the whisked yogurt-rice mixture. Keep stirring and bring the mixture to a boil in low to medium flame. Do not increase the flame, otherwise the yogurt might curdle. Once the mixture comes to a light boil, immediately turn off the flame.
– ServePahari Aloo Palda warm with parathas or rice! When reheating the subzi, make sure you do so in very low flame.