– Fry all the ingredients needed for the masala paste in a teaspoon of oil and then grind it into a coarse paste adding just a little water.
– Cook the toor dal / tuvaram paruppu with a pinch of turmeric powder in a pressure cooker or instant pot until soft and mushy and keep it aside.
– Dissolve the tamarind in water and extract the juice. Add the sliced bitter gourd. – Add the sambhar powder, salt and asafetida and let the mixture boil.
– Then add the cooked chick peas to the boiling mixture and let it continue to boil. – Now add the ground mixture in the pot and mix it well.
– Add the cooked lentil / paruppu and adjust the consistency. Add the jaggery / brown sugar to the pitlai now. – Let it simmer for about 5 minutes.