– Purple Cabbage chopped/shredded – Coconut oil – Mustard seeds – Urad dal/ullutham paruppu – Red chilies – Asafetida – Curry leaves - Tap to see more ...
– Remove the outside leaves of the cabbage if wilted and chop/shred it into equal-sized pieces. We could either chop it in the food processor or manually. Wash the chopped cabbage, drain, and keep it aside. – In a wide pan, heat coconut oil and add the seasoning.
– Once the seasoning ingredients are fried, add the chopped cabbage and stir well. – Add the salt needed and mix again. Now cover the pan and let the cabbage cook. – Don't overcook the cabbage. Let the cabbage have a mild crunch to it.
– Once the cabbage is cooked and there is not much moisture left in the vegetable, add the grated coconut and sugar if using. – Mix well and cook it for just a couple more minutes and then turn off the heat.
– Serve the purple cabbage curry with rice and sambar or rasam.