– Soak the rice and coconut in water.
– Grind the coconut with the water and squeeze the milk from the coconut. Keep the milk separately.
– Now grind the soaked rice and coconut adding enough water into a coarse paste. Transfer the ground mixture to a heavy saucepan, wash the mixer well with water and add this water to the pan as well.
– Cook this mixture on low flame until the rice cooks and it turns thick and mushy.
– Now add the jaggery (or sugar) and mix well to dissolve. Let it come to a boil and then simmer.
– Add the extracted coconut milk, cardamom powder and mix well. Let it just heat up and then remove from heat.
– If garnishing, fry some cashews in ghee and add it to the payasam.
– Serve the thengai arisi payasam warm or cold!