During Navarathri, Thengai Arisi Payasam is one of the payasam/kheer that I prepared. This is a very traditional payasam that is often prepared during festival time. My mother had been telling me to make this payasam for a very long time, but for some reason I never made it. Now that I have made it, this is going to be a regular in the house. This payasam does not have use any milk and it has coconut milk in it. So if you skip the frying of the cashew in a tiny bit of ghee, this becomes a totally vegan payasam. The coconut milk in the payasam renders a natural sweetness to it apart from the sweetness from jaggery. One could always substitute jaggery with white sugar. This is my recipe for the blogging marathon day 3 under the theme festival recipes.
Preparation time – 20 mins
Cooking time – 30 mins
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients to make Thengai Arisi Payasam – (serves 6-8)
- Raw rice – ¼ cup
- Coconut (grated) – 1 cup
- Vellam (jaggery) – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Cashews – few (to garnish)
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
Note – to make this payasam vegan, omit the garnish and the use of ghee.
- Soak the rice in water and also the coconut in about a cup of water for 15 mins.
- Grind the coconut with the water for few seconds and then squeeze the milk from the coconut. You will get about a cup and half to 2 cups of coconut milk. Keep the milk separately.
- Now grind the soaked rice and coconut adding enough water into a coarse paste. Transfer the ground mixture to a heavy sauce pan and wash the mixer well with water and add this water to the pan as well.
- Cook this mixture on low flame until the rice cooks and it turns thick and mushy. This will take about 15 mins in low flame.
- Now add the jaggery (or sugar) and mix well to dissolve. Let it come to a boil and then simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the extracted coconut milk and mix well. Also add the cardamom powder at this stage. Let it just heat up for 3-5 mins in very low flame and then remove it from heat. Once the coconut milk is added, you don’t want to heat it too long.
- If garnishing, fry some cashews in ghee and add it to the payasam.
- Serve the thengai arisi payasam warm or cold!