– Small red onions shallots or regular red onion – Red chilies – Garlic – Tomatoes 2 cups pureed – Tamarind or small marble size – to taste Salt – Oil – Mustard seeds – Ullutham paruppu/Urad dal - tap to see more ...
– Grind Shallots, red chili and garlic into a coarse paste adding no water or very little water. – In a pan, add the oil and heat it up. Once heated, add all the seasoning ingredients and let them sputter.
– Now add the ground paste to the pan and sauté till the raw smell disappears, about 3-4 mins.
– Meanwhile grind the tomatoes and tamarind into a paste and keep it ready. Once the shallot mixture cooks, add the ground tomatoes to it and let it come to a boil. Let the mixture sauté well and once they thicken up a bit, add the salt. If the salt is added in the beginning, the chutney will splatter a lot when boiling. Hence, it is always better to add the salt when the mixture cooks for a while and thickens up.
– Let it come to the preferred consistency and then turn off the flame. – Serve with Idlis. Dosai’s or paniyaram!