– Tuvar dal/split red lentil/ thuvaram paruppu – Apple 2 small – Tomatoes – Green chilies – Peppercorn – Cumin seeds – Turmeric powder – Asafetida - Tap to see more ...
– Cook the tuvar dal in the pressure cooker with enough water until soft and mushy. It can also be cooked on stove top until mushy. Keep aside. – Clean the apples and scrape out the skin. Take half of the apple and chop it into very fine pieces.
– In a blender, adding enough water grind together, the tomatoes, remaining apple, peppercorn, cumin seeds, and green chilies into a fine paste. – In a saucepan add 1 teaspoon of ghee and fry the chopped apples for about 5 mins.
– Now add the ground tomato mixture to it. To this add turmeric powder, asafetida, and salt. Let it come to a boil and then simmer. – In the meanwhile, mash the cooked dal and add water to it. Once the tomato apple mixture simmers, add the dal water to it. Let it come to a boil.
– In a tiny pan, heat 1tsp of ghee and add the mustard and cumin seeds to it. Once they sputter, add it to the rasam. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot as soup or with rice.