– Potatoes boiled and cubed – Payatham Paruppu / Moong dal – Onion thinly sliced – Cloves – piece Cinnamon – Bay leaf – Mustard seeds – Ullutham paruppu / Urad dal – few Curry leaves - Tap to see more ...
– Cook the potatoes and peel them. Chop them into 1 inch cubes. Also cook the Payatham paruppu / Moong dal until it is cooked well, but too mushy. – Grind all the ingredients mentioned for the masala adding very little water.
– In a pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. Let the mustard splutter and then add the cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf. Fry it for about a minute or until aromatic. – Add the sliced onions and fry until it is translucent.
– Add the ground masala paste and sauté it on low heat until aromatic (about 6-8 minutes). – Now add the boiled potato cubes and mix well. Also add the cooked dal along with the salt needed.
– Mix well and add water to bring it to gravy like consistency. Let the kadappa come to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes. – Add the lime juice and cilantro at the end and turn off the flame. – I served kadappa with some dosai for dinner.