I was in no way ready to start baking for the Mega Marathon in February when I baked these amazing chocolate cupcakes with chocolate buttercream frosting. If you know me, it would be evident by now that I don't make many chocolate recipes. I am not a big chocolate fan and hence there are only very few recipes that I have made with chocolate.
It was my little one's birthday and also our team leader Srivalli's birthday on the same day and they both are big time chocolate fans. What better could I have baked for them on their special day other than this wonderful Chocolate Cupcakes With Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. My kid was able to taste and enjoy the cupcakes in person whereas Srivalli got the virtual treat of the cupcakes.
This year my son had asked me long ago that he only wanted chocolate cupcakes and that too with chocolate frosting. There are just so many recipes out there that I was a t a total loss to choose one. Finally I settled down on the recipe that was on the back of Hershey's cocoa box. I am so glad that I chose that recipe as the cupcakes that I made were one of the best ever and my son could not have been happier. I usually make a test run with any new recipe that I try before making a big batch, but this time I just took a brave move and doubled the cupcake recipe as I was making the cupcakes for my son's school and soccer.
The buttercream recipe was pretty basic and I used melted chocolate in the recipe instead of the cocoa. Make sure you take the time to beat the frosting well as that is what helps in making a smooth buttercream.
One thing I would really like to mention about the cupcake recipe is that the cupcake batter is very runny. In fact it was so runny that I really thought I have messed up with the water quantity. I had my fingers and toes crossed when I placed the first batch of the cupcakes in the oven. I almost jumped out of joy when I saw that the cupcakes came out perfect and they were one of the most moist cupcakes I have ever baked.
This is my third recipe in the A-Z Baking around the World series and this recipe is from America. This post bought memories of our trip to the Hershey's chocolate factory in Pennsylvania. It was a place to see and we were in awe when we went for the chocolate factory to see how the chocolates are made.
Preparation time - 15 minutes
Baking time - 18-22 minutes per batch
Difficulty level - easy
Recipe adapted from - Hershey's Cocoa box
Ingredients to make Chocolate Cupcakes With Chocolate Buttercream Frosting -
To make Chocolate Cupcakes - (makes 24 cupcakes)
- Granulated sugar - 2 cups
- All purpose flour - 1 ¾ cup
- Cocoa powder - ¾ cup
- Baking powder - 1 ½ tsp
- Baking soda - 1 ½ tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Eggs (large) - 2
- Milk (preferably whole milk) - 1 cup
- Vegetable oil - ½ cup
- Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
- Boiling water - 1 cup
To make Chocolate Buttercream Frosting -
- Butter (unsalted and at room temperature) - 1 cup (2 sticks)
- Powdered sugar - 2 cups
- Semi sweet chocolate chip morsels - 1 cup (melted)
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- salt - a pinch
To make the Chocolate cupcakes -
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line the cupcake/muffin pans with liners.
- I used my stand mixer to make the batter for the cupcake as I had doubled the recipe. You could make it using a hand mixer as well, but since we are using boiling water in the recipe, having the hands free was very helpful.
- In the bowl of the mixer, add the dry ingredients. Mix to combine and then add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla extract. Beat the mixture for about a minute and then slowly add the boiling water.
- Keep beating the mixture until the batter is smooth but do not over beat the batter. Keep in mind that this cake batter is very runny. I was very scared when I saw that the batter was very runny, but the cupcakes turned out marvelous.
- Fill the prepared muffin tray a little more than ½.
- Bake them for about 18 - 20 minutes or until the toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in a cooling rack. Let them cool entirely before frosting them.
To make the Chocolate Buttercream frosting -
- Melt the semi sweet chocolate chip morsels in the microwave and cool it down to room temperature.
- Place the room temperature butter in the bowl of the mixer and beat in medium speed until light and creamy.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar in batches and keep mixing until the frosting is very smooth and silky. This will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and slowly pour the melted chocolate in the frosting and keep beating the frosting to make it smooth.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled well they are ready to be frosted.
Be sure to Pin the recipe and share it!