This is the first bake for the year from the Baking Partners Group. Kofieebroodje was something very new to me and I have only eaten similar buns from bakeries and was glad that the process is much easier than the name of the buns itself. These mildly sweet buns are a perfect combination with a cup of coffee. The dough is mildly sweet yeasted dough and the buns get their sweetness mostly from the pastry cream filling. I made the filling with the store bought French vanilla pudding and it was pretty simple.
This recipe for Kofieebroodje was suggested to us by Kaveri of Palakkad Chamayal and I am glad that she introduced this to us. The buns taste awesome when warm as well as at room temperature. My son loves this so much that he has been taking this to school for snack for the past couple of days. I have noticed in the past that many bakes taste good after slight reheating, especially in the winter months. But this is one bun that had a perfect texture even at room temperature. Hence I was very happy to use it as snack for my kid’s school.
I made the filling for Kofieebroodje with the pudding mix. I halved the original recipe and got about 10 buns from it. Because I halved the recipe, I had to use only about ½ a package of the pudding mix. I used the procedure in the package to make the pudding, except that I used half the quantity of milk than mentioned. We need the pudding to be slightly thicker in texture so that it stays well as a filling. You could also use any pastry cream filling recipe of your choice for the filling.
Preparation time – 15 minutes plus 2 hrs to rise the dough
Cooking time – 15 minutes to make the pudding
Baking time – about 25 minutes
Difficulty level – medium
Ingredients to make Kofieebroodje – Makes about 10 buns
To make the pudding filling –
- French vanilla pudding – ½ the package
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Sour cream – 3 tbsp
For the buns –
- All purpose flour – 1 ½ cups
- Instant yeast – 3 ½ gms
- Milk (luke warm) – little less than ¾ cup (I used 2% milk)
- Butter – 1 ½ tbsp plus ½ tbsp
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla – 1 tsp
- Salt – ¾ tsp
- Raisins – 4 tbsp
For the glaze –
- Any jam or preserve – 2 tbsp
- Warm water – 1 tbsp
Procedure to make Kofieebroodje –
- Soak the raisin in warm water for about 15 minutes. Drain it and then keep it aside until ready to use.
- Combine the jam or preserve with the warm water and mix well to form a spreadable glaze. Keep it aside.
To make the pudding filling –
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, combine the milk and the pudding mix and cook over low heat stirring all the time. Bring the mixture to a constant boil and then turn off the heat. At this stage you would notice that the mixture has thickened quite a bit. It will thicken more as it cools. Let it cool down a bit at room temperature and then leave it in the refrigerator to cool down. Once chilled, make sure that the consistency is thick enough to be spread.
- Now mix the sour cream into the pudding and gently mix it to combine. Leave it aside until ready to use.
To make the dough –
- In a food processor bowl or a large bowl (if making the dough by hand), combine the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Mix it once to combine.
- Now add the vanilla and the butter and mix well.
- Slowly add the milk and combine to form soft dough. Knead it well until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl and cover it. Leave it in a warm place until doubled in size (about an hour).
Assembling the buns –
- Once the dough has proofed, punch it down and then roll it into a 16 x 12 rectangle.
- Evenly spread the pudding mixture, leaving an inch on each side.
- Sprinkle the raisin evenly over the pudding.
- Roll the dough into a cylinder. Make sure that the pudding mixture stays put.
- Now cut the cylinder into a 1 inch thick slice. This stage gets a little messy since the pudding will ooze out when cutting. To reduce the mess, make sure you use a sharp knife and you cut it down in one swift motion.
- Place the buns on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cover it with a cloth and let it proof for about 30 minutes more until they become puffy.
Baking the buns –
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Once the rolls have proofed, brush them with melted butter and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- As soon as the rolls come out of the oven, brush it with the jam glaze and then cool them on a cooling rack.
- Brush the buns once again with the glaze once they have cooled down.
- Enjoy the Kofieebroodje!!!