We are almost nearing the end of our mega marathon and I have to say this was the first month long marathon that I was quite relaxed and sort of well planned. I had a clear idea about what kind of bakes I wanted to do and my bakes mostly included breads and dinners. I did have empty spaces every here and there in my list and the last week was pretty much empty.
The Honey Nut Bread that I made today was planned in the morning, baked in the afternoon, pictured in the evening and drafted at night. It is a very simple loaf with simple flavors. I love to use honey in the bakes as a sweetener and this bread is made only with honey. Recently I had been to the local farmers market and I saw this recipe in one of the local honey farm’s booth. I did make few changes to the recipe and used a bit of whole wheat flour along with the regular flour. The texture of the bread was really good and I am going to be using 50 % whole wheat flour next time.
The bread has heavy tones of honey flavor. The orange zest helps a lot to lower the flavor, so I would highly recommend using some sort of citrus zest to cut down on the heavy honey flavor. Also I used finely chopped almonds in the recipe to bring some crunch.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 50 – 60 minutes
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients to make Honey Nut Bread – Makes 1 loaf (9 x 5)
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Wheat flour – ½ cup
- Baking Powder – 3 tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Honey – ¾ cup
- Butter (unsalted) – ¼ cup (melted)
- Milk – 1 cup
- Egg – 1 large
- Orange zest – 1 tsp
- Almonds – ½ cup (finely chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl combine the egg, milk, honey and orange zest and mix well. I used a whisk to combine everything together.
- In another bowl, sift the flours, salt and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Add the nuts and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until the tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. It took about 55 minutes for me.
- Cool the Honey Nut Bread on a rack completely before slicing.