Kadalai Paruppu Sweet Kosumalli is a very traditional sweet kosumalli served in weddings and functions. I always adore and love to eat the different variety of sweet and spicy dishes that they serve in a wedding. One of the reasons I love going to weddings, apart from the dressing up part is the food. The flavors are so different in a kalyana saapadu that I fail to get anywhere else.
This kosumalli is very simple to make and adds protein to the meal. It is mildly sweet and I would recommend that we include one such protein source with all our meals. The quantity of sugar can be adjusted based on one’s liking. I have made it medium sweet here. When asking my mother about a kosumalli recipe for the Tamil Nadu Special Virundhunar Saapadu series, she gave me the recipe. My patti was also with amma and she right away suggested that I make it.
This recipe is a part of my Tamil Nadu special Virundhunar Saapadu! Do make sure to see my complete set up and lunch idea.
Preparation time – 30 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients to make Kadalai Paruppu Sweet Kosumalli – (serves 4)
- Kadalai paruppu / Channa dal – ½ cup
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Coconut – ¼ cup (grated)
- Soak the kadalai paruppu for about half an hour.
- Cook the paruppu in plenty of water and a pinch of salt until it is soft (but still holds the shape).
- Drain in a colander and let it sit for few minutes to completely drain.
- Just before serving, add the grated coconut and sugar to the cooked dal and mix well.
- Serve with the meal or as snack by itself!