tummy when it comes to paal payasam. He laughed and told me this story of Tenali Raman who is known for his wits and intelligence. The story goes like this…Tenali Raman was invited for a feast in the kingdom and he ate a large meal. After meal the king asked him if he would be able to have the paal payasam since he ate so much.
Ingredients to make Rice pudding – makes around 5 cups of payasam
- Milk – 6 cups
- Rice – ¼ th cup (washed)
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Wash the rice and add to a large stainless steel vessel that can be placed inside the cooker. In the same vessel measure and add the milk.
- Now place this inside a cooker and place the whistle. Keep the heat on high and let it build pressure. Once you hear one whistle reduce the flame entirely and leave it simmer for 30 more mins.
- At the end of 30 mins, turn off the heat and let the pressure release in the cooker.
- Once the pressure is released, transfer the payasam to a non stick pan and then add the sugar. Mix it well and cook it further for 30 more mins, stirring occasionally.
- You would notice that now the payasam is deep pink in color and it would taste like it has been cooked for several hours.
- Enjoy the Rice pudding as is or if you prefer you could garnish with some nuts and raisins.